logo6

Government Regulation

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 153

Replied by admin on topic Letter to Secretary of State for Health

Posted 07 Sep 2014 14:40 #91
6 May ’14: John McDonnell MP and Professor Harminder Dua, President of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, met with Health Minister Daniel Poulter to discuss the urgent need for regulation of the refractive eye surgery industry.

Dr Poulter advised that, although refractive eye surgery had not been singled out by the Keogh report, the government had decided it would be included in "the work being taken forward" by the Cosmetic Surgery Interspecialty Committee, set up by the Royal College of Surgeons.

This was just a 'sop' to placate us!

Because, following that meeting, although there has been a considerable exchange of communication - NOTHING has moved forward, and we believe that the government is in fact doing its utmost to ignore the problem, even though we have warned them it is a massive scandal waiting to explode, which will prove to be far more serious than the cosmetic surgery furore!

29 August '14: After discussing the situation with John, I emailed Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Health, requesting a meeting asap. No reply as yet.

2 Sept '14: John McDonnell tabled questions, asking if the Secretary of State had received an email from Sasha Rodoy of 'My Beautiful Eyes', and did he intend to respond.

He must answer John by tomorrow.

PLEASE email your MP - NOW! If they don't reply within 24hrs, send again and again until they do - personally!

Template here: www.opticalexpressruinedmylife.co.uk/ind...rgery-epetition.html
:kiss:
Last Edit:24 Sep 2014 19:46 by admin
  • admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline

Replied by admin on topic John McDonnell & Sasha Rodoy Interview@Parliament

Posted 10 Dec 2013 18:13 #92
20 November 2013

Last Edit:10 Dec 2013 19:05 by admin
  • Chris

Replied by Chris on topic WRITE TO YOUR MP: URGENT

Posted 26 Nov 2013 10:19 #93
As some of you may know, the first reading of the Regulation of Refractive Eye Surgery Bill took place in Parliament last week and a date for the second reading was set for 28.02.2014. I wrote to my MP and urged him to support the bill and received the following response from his assistant.

"Thank you for your email.

This is an industry that certainly should be properly regulated, and is not at the moment. The progress of this bill will depend on government support so xxxxxx will raise this with the Minister responsible at the Department of Health and will be in touch when he has had a reply."

If everybody on this forum writes to their MP and receive a similar response then there's a real chance the Bill will pass at second reading and pressure will mount on the companies that have made enormous profits from us.
Last Edit:26 Nov 2013 12:01 by Chris
  • admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline

Replied by admin on topic 2005 Regulation of Laser Eye Surgery Bill

Posted 24 Nov 2013 22:23 #94

Observing wrote: centrallobby.politicshome.com/legislatio...bill-200506-session/

"He (Frank Cook) believes that there is currently a worrying lack of regulation over laser treatment, with faulty machines leaving a significant number of patients with damaged eyesight."

Information which begs the question why the industry has been allowed to continue unregulated for so long?!

This has gone unnoticed methinks!
by admin
  • admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline

Replied by admin on topic The 'eyes' have it :)

Posted 21 Nov 2013 23:50 #95
John McDonnell MP: 20 November 2013

Meanwhile, Optical Express' lawyers waited until midday yesterday before complaining to OERML website host, 'Fasthosts', that the site content is defamatory etc... insisting it is taken down.

Quite honestly I had expected them to do this four weeks ago, in tandem with their Nominet complaint and was surprised when they didn't do so.

Now I know why: had they done it four weeks ago I had plenty of time to host the site overseas, whereas if it'd been taken down yesterday the heart of the campaign would've been unavailable for reference following John McDonnell's introduction of the Bill!

NB: John mentioned Optical Express twice by name in his presentation.

Fortunately, after speaking with Fasthosts, their legal dept is now aware of the issues surrounding OE's reasons for complaint and are looking into this. Should they decide that they are unable to host OERML we will be given sufficient time to transfer to an overseas host.
Last Edit:09 Sep 2014 23:25 by admin
  • admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline

Replied by admin on topic BBC Radio interview with Sasha Rodoy

Posted 21 Nov 2013 19:21 #96
20 November 2013:
BBC London 94.9 - The Breakfast Show with Penny Smith and Paul Ross

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01kkxqk
Start listening @ 01.43.55
by admin
  • fedup

Replied by fedup on topic GOING TO PARLIAMENT!!!

Posted 21 Nov 2013 15:51 #97
Well done Sasha A big thanks for all your time and effort. GREAT
by fedup
  • Caro

Replied by Caro on topic GOING TO PARLIAMENT!!!

Posted 21 Nov 2013 11:12 #98
I could kiss Sasha, and kiss each and every person who has shared their experiences and done what ever they can, to help make things better. Together, our sheer numbers give us a voice that is now being heard, thanks to Sasha's campaign.
Caro xxx
by Caro
  • Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nick on topic URGENT MESSAGE

Posted 20 Nov 2013 22:40 #99
With today's events, let the media Juggernaut begin, or will advertising streams continue to dictate editorial policy?

This is what OE has tried to prevent for years, well now it's out there and better still it ain't over yet. Industry Regulation = it's all over for the high street eye laser cowboys. Mousdale, Hannon, Patrick Green & Co, I trust you all enjoyed it as much as we did.
by Nick
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic URGENT MESSAGE

Posted 20 Nov 2013 14:28 #100
This whole refractive eye surgery scandal should have been declared a public health crisis years ago ! This is due to the sheer amount of permanent damage that has been (and continues to be) inflicted upon peoples most precious sense ! Well done Sasha. Now the real truth that the industry has been so desperate to supress will end up in the public domain ! I shudder to think of how many horrific cases there are actually out there of peoples eyes and lives being utterly ruined by the ruthless pursuit of business profit !
by Mr Starburst
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount