logo6

Deposit Refunds

• Ceri-Louise Lynas

Replied by Ceri-Louise Lynas on topic Update

Posted 14 Oct 2015 10:09 #391
Hi
After complaining to OE on a daily basis about the 28 days I had to wait for the finally promised refund, last week they said they would count the 28 days from when I decided not to have the procedure! Remember they moved store, changed their phone number and made it difficult for me to contact them so I really don't know why they were making it seem like they were being so generous....as it is unethical if not illegal for them to keep your money for 28 days anyway, but they said it like they were doing me a big favour.....the woman I spoke to on the number Sasha gave me for Lynsday Shaw, who incidentally was never available but the women I got transferred to introduced herself as Lyn said I was lucky to be getting a refund as I had not cancelled in the 'agreed' cooling off period.....How dare they??? How many more times would I have to remind them that they moved office...etc etc etc...????
So moving swiftly on she said my 28 days would be up yesterday and I would get a phone call from the finance team who would load the £500 back onto my card, and no, they don't pay interest on the money even though they have had it for over a month....
No phone call as agreed last week so I called them, I left a message yesterday but no call back, I called again today and they have taken my card details and said it will show up in my account in the next five days....I asked them to make an express payment that could show up in within 2 hours but guess what? They can't do that.....I did point out that I had actually waited 29 days but they really could not care less.
I wonder where OE recruit their staff from, I would feel so ashamed working for them but they seem to have staff who 'toe the party line' regardless of the damage they are inflicting on people. Helps you understand how Hitlers Youth got started! Sorry if that sounds harsh but I mean it.
NEVER EVER EVER GET INVOLVED WITH OPTICAL EXPRESS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
I have never dealt with a company who treat people as badly as I feel I have been treated, thank heavens I did not go through with the procedure
Last Edit:14 Oct 2015 10:25 by Ceri-Louise Lynas
  • Ghez Ra-Ta

Replied by Ghez Ra-Ta on topic Success!

Posted 13 Oct 2015 11:44 #392
Update on my refund process:

I didn't receive the call back for the refund so I contacted Sasha after 60 hours and she helped me with several phone numbers.
I contacted one of those numbers yesterday and insisted to get my money back so I will receive a call back for the refund. Today got a call for the card details. She told me the refund will be processed today and by the end of the day I should receive an email too.
Let's see if that's true...
To be continued
by Ghez Ra-Ta
  • Asif

Replied by Asif on topic Refund problems with Optical Express

Posted 12 Oct 2015 13:27 #393
Booked my LASEK with OE on Tuesday 6th Oct in the evening around 7:30-8pm at Shandwick Place in Edinburgh. Payed my £400 deposit over the phone with a debit card..

For various reasons called up on Wednesday the 7th to cancel my surgery and was told I would get a call back from cancellations within 48hrs. Asked about the cancellation period but they wouldn't advice me any further..

2 days later got a call back from OE cancelations dep and asked the guy to start refund process, after he gave me lots of small talk. He kept on asking me the reasons why I want to cancel etc and I simply said for personal reasons...
Obviously wasn't happy with that answer so he became very unhelpful and said he would call me back at a later time as I told him my phone battery was on 2%. Asked for an email to confirm he was going to start the refund process but he said this is against company policy. Sounds like total rubbish to me and scam.

On a side note, I had also gone to another lasek provider and they quoted me £4000 v OE's £2700, BUT my appt was with the surgeon who carries out the surgery and the prescription he gave matched my current glasses prescription whereas OE's differed.

Called my bank this morn and they advised me if OE haven't refunded within the promised 28 days then they can arrange a money recall.

Not sure where to go from here, but I am not prepared to wait 28 days...
Last Edit:19 Oct 2015 10:55 by Asif
  • Pat Williams

Replied by Pat Williams on topic Success!

Posted 12 Oct 2015 11:52 #394
Yes........we got our money back. :)
Never going anywhere near Optical Express ever again.
Good luck to everyone else out there trying to get there money back. Persevere, just keep pestering them.
Last Edit:12 Oct 2015 11:57 by Pat Williams
  • Ghez Ra-Ta

Replied by Ghez Ra-Ta on topic Decided Against Surgery!

Posted 09 Oct 2015 16:02 #395
Hello,

I choose Optical Express because I saw their advertisements.

I went for a consultation on 6 October in Maidstone and spoke to Heather who introduced the treatment. I told her I read an article about a woman who’d sued Optical Express. Heather said this story has 2 sides. I asked why and she said the patient didn't take her eye drops as instructed! So she blamed it on the patient.

When I went home I was confused: Why would Stephanie not use her eye drops?? It's her eyes!
Damn sure she used them.

I was not wearing my contacts as instructed and had no glasses so I couldn’t read anything that Heather showed me on computer. So she read it for me and said sign it.

Than she took me to Reshmi for the measurements. Everything looked fine. Measurements were all good just very weird to me that some measurements were really quick and kind of fake. Then Reshmi told me that the iDesign Lasik will cost me 4900 pounds!

I was shocked but I didn't show her. I did say that I am from the Netherlands and that its much cheaper there. So Heather arrived and said she will ask if they have a store in the Netherlands. She came back and said it had closed down.

So we went in a different room. She wanted to make an appointment but I said its too expensive, so she said she will discuss the price with head office. She came back after 5 minutes and dropped from £4900 to £3500, which seemed really abnormal to me.Then again further dropped the price to £3000 and asked for a deposit. I - crazy woman - said i will pay £1000 now and the rest over 10 months through Finance.

She made an appointment for me for the 19th October. Gave me a folder with a bunch of papers but told me not to read them until the day before surgery!

When I left I did not receive a copy of the finance plan or any copy of the paperwork that I had to sign digitally. They also didn't write who was going to do the treatment.

When I went home I did some research about iDesign and looked at the doctors in Bluewater who were doing the treatments ( there were like at least 15 doctors there!!). I found bad reviews about Optical Express and read about people not getting their refund. Unhappy patients.T his scared me because £1000 is a lot of money for us and I dont want to wear glasses for at least 10 years. So I decided to cancel my appointment.

Wednesday morning 7 October I called the store around 9.15 am and spoke to a lady and told her I want to cancel the appointment.
She tried to convince me to do it but I said no because I wanted time to think.
So than she said okay that Heather will call me back because she made the appointment in Bluewater. So than Heather called me back and I told her I wanted to cancel and so she said she understood and said that it will be cancelled.

I called customer services later that day several times to check if the appointment was cancelled and it was. Thats what they said. I asked for a confirmation email but that was not possible they told me. I was also not aware about the within 72 hours cancellation I found online.
So when I found out about the 72 hours cancellation period and nobody emailing a confirmation of cancellation I got doubts. Thats why I cancelled my appointment in less than 24 hours!
From that moment I called them 2 times a day just to check if it was really cancelled.and when I will get my refund.

I called my bank to take the money back because I was worried. They gave me an authorisation code with fax number to give to Optical Express so that they can cancel the transaction as nothing was taken from my account yet.

I called Optical Express customer service to give them this number and they said that somebody will call me back within 48 hours. Nobody called back until today around 12 pm. Bit more than 48 hours.

Meanwhile I went back to the store yesterday to get my finance papers. And see what I signed. I also called Hitachi finance company to see if they had received a cancelled finance.They said no its not cancelled you have to go back to the store and cancel it for you.

I went to the store and said I did not receive finance papers. and Eb helped me. She took me to a different room took my details and pulled up my finance agreement on her computer screen to show that there was no appointment made and so finance will be cancelled automatically.
At the bottom of this document it was written: ‘Likely write off.'

I asked if she could make a print and she said she had to call Heather to ask permission. She came back said sorry that's not possible ( I secretly recorded the moment she came back to see what she says)

I said you have it but you cant print it?? I left and then got a call from Heather explaining I will get my refund but she couldn’t send me a confirmation email.

Today I received a call around 1 pm from Robert. He asked why I cancelled so I made an excuse that I want to go on a holiday with my kids during half term so no surgery. He suggested they refund £800 and keep £200 so I can make another appointment. I said no, I want a full refund.

He said OK and he would arrange for a colleague to call me within 48 hours to take my card details for a refund. He said they didn’t usually do that but because I’d contacted my bank and had an authorisation code for refund they will do it differently. He didnt explain what was different, maybe faster than 28 working days??

Well lets see what happens now... I am very happy I found this site…

admin: Stephanie Holloway was the woman Heather claimed didn’t use her eye drops. I spoke to Stephanie earlier and told her what OE were saying about her.
I believe Stephanie will be commenting later :kiss:
Last Edit:09 Oct 2015 18:57 by Ghez Ra-Ta
  • Katherine Birtwistle

Replied by Katherine Birtwistle on topic Decided Against Surgery!

Posted 06 Oct 2015 13:28 #396
I am at a loss to understand how Optical Express is allowed to continue trading after my experience with them.
I recently returned to the UK and decided I would finally investigate laser eye surgery presuming that the UK is the safest and most regulated place to do so. (One assumes it is regulated until of course you later find out it is not.)
On 18 June 2015 at 10.45 my husband and I went to the Trafford Centre in Manchester to have a consultation with salesman Barry Thompson, who checks out whether you can afford the procedure, and then with Optometrist Juneid Patel
I had a lazy eye as a child and Juneid said that meant I couldn't have surgery for both long and short sight correction but I would be fine for short sight correction. He performed more tests and assured me that all was fine. I had no reason to doubt a qualified physician - as so few of us do.
I paid a deposit of £395 on the basis they waited till I had moved house so the finance agreement didn't interfere with my mortgage arrangements.
Eventually I arranged an appointment over the telephone for 26th September at John St Manchester as I was told the Trafford Centre was full.
On arrival you are given a form in reception which you are required to sign and initial or you can go no further. If you don't complete it you can leave. It made me uneasy but I nevertheless went ahead, other than signing that I’d had a consultation on the day with the surgeon. So (happily) in my case they do not have a fully signed document.
I was then taken to have more eye tests. All the staff again super happy and smiley.
We were taken to a waiting room upstairs where a young girl came out of the consulting room in tears saying she wasn't suitable and had been advised against surgery.
Then the surgeon Antonio Ucedes-Montanes asked me to come to his consulting room and insisted my husband accompany me. He said he needed to talk something over with me.
Once in the examination room the doctor performed some more tests to determine the extent of the problems with my eyes.
He sat down next to me and carefully explained how one eye was doing all the work and the other eye was so weak and had such a pronounced squint that it simply wasn't suitable for the operation.
I was stunned.
He further explained that my condition meant that if I proceeded I would have severe problems in the future, including - but not limited to - double vision and blurred vision, and that even if the procedure worked, which he was incredibly doubtful it would, that it had a one in three chance of lasting a year before my eyes regressed back to where they are now.
I instantly said I didn't want to proceed. He then further explained that OE would no doubt offer another surgeon who would perform the surgery, and that the company would be angry with him for not proceeding, but he said there comes a time when you have to put ethics above cash.
He said someone would contact me regarding a refund, and that he had added a note to my file to say I didn't proceed due to medical reasons. He also added that all the people he was seeing that day were the "difficult" cases that shouldn't be proceeding.
I felt like I was in an experimentation camp and couldn't wait to get out.
I assumed (again wrongly) that it would be a simple matter to get a refund. Nobody called so I called them the following Thursday and spoke to Caroline at Cancellations.
Just as Antonio had predicted, she said they had another surgeon who would carry out the procedure and therefore I was electing to not proceed. I told her no-one from OE was going to poke about in my eyes and it was preposterous. She said they had procedures to follow and someone would contact me. She didn’t tell me what the procedures are and now I cant get through to cancellations, although someone did say I would have a review and get my money within 28 days from the date of cancelled surgery.
Then I found this site and I hope that you can help me? Whilst I am forever thankful to the wonderful Antonio for "doing no harm" as doctors swear to do, I feel I should still be refunded my money.

If you are reading this and considering laser eye surgery please please just be happy with glasses, as I am now. I realise I'm one of the lucky ones.
Last Edit:06 Oct 2015 14:10 by Katherine Birtwistle
  • Ceri-Louise Lynas

Replied by Ceri-Louise Lynas on topic Update

Posted 30 Sep 2015 22:11 #397
I got a phone call from Lawrence McLaughlin today and he said I could have a refund in 28 working days…. I do not believe this is legal and I am complaining to the Obudsman…. I have also provided details to BBC Inside Out West….

thank you for listening....I will let you know what happens…
Last Edit:01 Oct 2015 13:54 by Ceri-Louise Lynas
  • Ceri-Louise Lynas

Replied by Ceri-Louise Lynas on topic Decided Against Surgery!

Posted 29 Sep 2015 20:05 #398
Hi I have had a really horrible experience with Optical Express. They were all really wonderful until I gave them the deposit for the surgery
I will try and list the steps
I live in Bristol and was walking past Optical Express
1. I just called in when I was passing after reading a big sign that said 20-20 vision was guaranteed and the price was usually around £4,000
2. I was given a very encouraging talk by, who I know now is the sales representative Sam, we talked about the options, we discussed my work and how I do a lot of bead work so close up vision was important to me. He told me laser was not for me because a) my age and b) my close up vision would not be great with laser treatment, it had to be one or the other I could not have long and short vision corrected but I could have my lenses replaced and this he assured me would give me 20-20 vision
3. I left the opticians saying I would think about it but thanked him very much for the information, he kept trying to book me for an appointment regardless of the fact I did not want to commit at that time
4. I got constant phone calls from Sam over the next few days and he really gave me the sales talk, he almost bullied me into going for the next appointment which I did, this was after his final call on a Sunday morning
5. I went for the appointment with an optician and I passed the tests with flying colours, she said II was an ideal candidate and again had the conversation about 20-20 vision
6. I was then asked to go and see Sam and he would book my next appointment and talk about the financial side of the procedure
7. I went to see Sam who bounced a few figures around and told me my treatment was going to cost a staggering £7,000. He jollied me along with the idea of it only being £600 a month for 10 months etc. We discussed the reason I wanted it done and he agreed with everything I said. I told him I did not mind wearing glasses but I was really attracted to the idea of having perfect vision bot long and short distance. We discussed it all at length and I know I left certain in the knowledge that this was a life changing operation. I asked about the risks but he said it was the safest operation going and they had not had one failure in the 28 years the clinic had been going. I also watched a film that said there were risks but it was the safest operation known to man.
8. I said I needed time to think about it and again I was bombarded with phone calls from Sam.
9. I discussed it with lots of friends and family who agreed that, although £7,000 was a lot of money it was a small price to pay for perfect vision so I decided to go for the operation. Sam could not get me booked in fast enough. He told me I would be getting an appointment with the surgeon to make sure everything was ok but before he could book the appointment with the surgeon I needed to pay a deposit of £500. I asked if I could have a refund if I decided, after meeting the surgeon, that it was not the operation for me. Sam assured me that it was a two way agreement and I could get a full refund.
10. I went back for my appointment and met an Ophthalmologists. She performed another set of tests and asked me why I wanted the operation. I told her I wanted 20-20 vision. She told me that she thought I would be disappointed with the results as I would be compromising 20% of the vision I had wearing glasses. I was really shocked to hear this as it had never been mentioned to date. She said she was writing in her report that it was not the procedure for me, I saw her writing the notes up. She said there was one more thing they could try which was laser surgery where they treat one eye for long sight and one for short sight but she had severe reservations about it being procedure for me but she said there was no harm in trying the contact lenses which would give me the same vision as the laser surgery but she warned it was not for everybody and not many people got on with it.
11. I was not sure this was for me but I though I would try it. I went to the next person who said they would order the lenses and they should arrive within two weeks but they had to send of for them as they were a special lens
12. I have not heard anymore from the clinic and all this was nearly a month ago. I tried to call but the clinic number was always busy or it cut out before the dialling began.
13. Having given it more though and read some reviews about this procedure I have decided I do not want the laser treatment and the lens replacement is not for me either so eventually after many attempts to call the clinic I called their main number to inform them I wanted to cancel and get my deposit back.
14. I was told everyone was busy and I would get a call back within the next 48 hours from one of the cancelation team. To be fair I got a call back quite quickly after that by a gentleman named Lawrence (I think I remember that being his name). Lawrence was the rudest, most aggressive and obnoxious person I have spoken to in a long time. He just talked at me, he never gave me a moment to put my point across, he even hung up the phone and when I phoned back explaining that we seemed to have been cut off to the person on the switchboard she put me back on to him, he said he had been busy on another call and had meant to call me back immediately but had got sidetracked....I think he was hoping he had upset me enough for me to be to afraid to call back
15. Bottom line he said as I was clinically able to undergo the surgery I was not entitled to a refund and I had also left it longer than the cooling of period. I explained I had tried to call but to no avail he said it was because the clinic had moved site which was also why the contact lenses were taking time. I politely pointed out that no one had told me they were moving so how was I supposed to contact them
16. He said there was nothing in the notes to say the Ophthalmologists had dissuaded me and he was going to have to talk to her and get a report from her. I asked him why she wrote a report if she was supposed to commit everything to memory....anyway he said he would get back to me within the next 48 hours but reading these posts I have severe doubts about that.
17. Optical Express are money digging horrors who need to be avoided. I can't believe some of the things I have read about them and now I have actually spoken to some of their victims I am so thankful I decided not to go ahead but I would like my deposit paid back.
18. I will keep you posted
19. Thank you for your support so far
by Ceri-Louise Lynas
  • Pat Williams

Replied by Pat Williams on topic Re refunded!

Posted 21 Sep 2015 13:36 #399

Thomas Skelton wrote: After ringing a number that Sasha provided to me, I expressed my anger and got through to a girl that took my card details and processed my refund.

Hi, my husband is expecting a call tomorrow to do his refund. I have no doubt it will not happen, he will have to call them and will be told more lies. Can you tell me what number you called and got your refund through please?
Last Edit:21 Sep 2015 14:37 by Pat Williams
  • Yoshi8

Replied by Yoshi8 on topic Deposit time

Posted 15 Sep 2015 22:54 #400
Does anyone please know when the 28 working days for refund starts from? I was told its not the day you were told not suitable for surgery by surgeon by OE but rather when their customer service team first contacts you about refund. In my case this was 2 weeks later so seems a bit unfair and really it should be from the time yourr surgery did not go ahead.

Many thanks
by Yoshi8
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount