Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Court Hearing 26 September 2016 28 Jul 2016 14:47 #41

• Art55
13 March 2012 I had bilateral lasik eye surgery performed by Manek Patel at Optical Express. Left with worse vision I subsequently had one corrective surgery on my right eye and two on my left.

03.03.14 I went to see Dr Jan Venter who finally said that there was nothing more he could do for me as he would not feel confident performing anymore corrective treatment on my left eye. He said that if he was in my position he would want to be referred to an independent surgeon.

25.04.14 Went to Optical Express Lakeside to be fitted with a pair of glasses.

09.05.14 Went to Optical Express Lakeside to pick up glasses but they were not right so had to be refitted for glasses

24.05.14 Collected glasses from Optical Express Lakeside

30.07.14 Went to see independent surgeon paid by OE.

01.10.15 After 3 more visits to the surgeon he wrote that he would be able to correct my vision, copied to Stephen Hannan @ OE.

20.10.15 Received a telephone call from Martin Gray (OE Clinical Care) to say that they were not prepared to pay for my treatment externally and wanted me to have more tests to decide how they could treat me in-house (if at all).

21.10.15 I replied that I did not want to have any further treatment with Optical Express.

20.11.15 Received a letter in the post saying that they were still were not prepared to pay for treatment externally.

23.11.15 Contacted Sasha Rodoy at OERML. She sent my details to a legal firm who were unable to take on my case due to time limitation (over 3 years).

23.02.16 With Sasha’s help I wrote to OE’s solicitor and advised that I intended to take action via small claims court and received this in return.

24.03.16 I issued a court claim for almost £17,000.

20.04.16 Optometrist Colin Berry called to say that he wanted me to be aware that OE are willing to still correct his eyes with one of their own surgeons. I told him they'd had four years to do that and that Jan Venter had already said that there was no more that OE could do and that was why I was sent to independent surgeon.

21.04.16 Stephen Hannan wrote that I'd sued the wrong defendant, but...

7.07.16 Rebecca O’Hear (legal assistant) called to say that OE would now pay £11,000 for my treatment with independent surgeon., but no travelling expenses or the court fees I have paid out. I replied that I would see them in court.

Sasha has agreed to represent me as Lay Representative and I invite anyone who can to come along and support us.
Attachments:

Can I sue 06 Jun 2016 20:43 #42

• Tony
Hi all. Just wondering about if anyone knows lawyers who will deal with cases out of the 3 years limitation? I never intended to claim or sue after my surgery. Never thought I could. My goal wad just trying to get better until I came across this site. I had surgery 5 years ago but for 2 or 3 years I had just been going back and forth to the OE optician who just kept giving me eye drops and cream for nighttime. Just felt they were fobbing me off so got fed up and went to NHS who told me I was not suitable for surgery in the first place as I had dry eyes even before surgery.

Any suggestions?
admin: Unlikely, but possible you're in time for small claims court. If you send email with your phone number I'll be happy to advise This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
:kiss:

Annies story 14 Jan 2016 21:13 #43

• Danny
  • Thank you received: 5

Anniebabes wrote: ...it has taken a long time but finally my solicitor is starting court proceedings against Optical Express and 2 surgeons, Mr Stefan Klopper and Mr Evangelos Minos

I was botched by Stefan Klopper too. Keep at it and don't give up. My lawyer was a week or two away from issuing court proceedings and things then moved very quickly and they were quite desperate to settle out of court.

Annies story 14 Jan 2016 10:41 #44

• Anniebabes
  • Thank you received: 1
Just an up date of my story, it has taken a long time but finally my solicitor is starting court proceedings against Optical Express and 2 surgeons, Mr Stefan Klopper and Mr Evangelos Minos. I will keep you all informed.
My advice to anyone who has been damaged by Optical Express, don't give up and keep fighting. I will not give up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmy B

OE settled! 11 Dec 2015 15:47 #45

• Danny
  • Thank you received: 5
For all the folks out there in litigation, please keep at it and do not give up, there are unbiased experts out there to do reports and just keep plugging away. I have finally come to the end of a very long road with my litigation, I have settled out of court but make no mistake, I was fully prepared to take this to the long haul but after almost 4 long years in litigation things moved rather quickly over the last few months.

I am one of the lucky ones, a great legal team and expert on my side, but now I feel exhausted by the whole process and I'm looking forward to getting on with my life.

Just keep at it and eventually they will want to settle and avoid court at all costs, they know the bad publicity will bury them in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmy B

Suing Optical Express 03 Jun 2015 19:56 #46

• JACKIE M
My husband is also taking OE to Small Claims Court and wrote to them asking who should be named as defendant. After three emails and a recorded letter we’ve still had no response from Melanie Todd (OE's in-house solicitor) except to say there’s a letter in the post… weeks later and we’re still waiting!! She also informed us that the clinic where my husband had his surgery had gone into administration. Sound familiar? We thought that Optical Express were the company who provided my husband with his surgery, not some obscure name that we had never heard of. Do they have any clinics left I wonder?

The attached letter from Miss Todd goes to great length to advise us we won't win if we go to court. Did they give Stephanie Holloway the same advice?

Watch this space!!
Attachments:

SUE THE SURGEON? 01 Jun 2015 19:41 #47

• Jimmy B
  • Thank you received: 21
Carmel (Anonymous)...

You were operated on in May 2013 by DCM Optical Clinic PLC, now in Administration!

I was operated on in November 2012 by Optical Express (Southern) Ltd, now in Administration!

How dodgy does this look? And to make matters worse, OE is the self proclaimed leading eye surgery provider in the UK!!

Suing Optical Express 28 May 2015 18:11 #48

• Anonymous
I am taking OE to Small Claims Court and wrote to them asking who I should name as defendant. This is the response that I received from their in house solicitor, who has not responded in full within the stated 14 days.

My surgery was with Optical Express as far as I was aware, and I still intend to pursue them in the Small Claims Court as they still trade from 22 Harley Street no matter what they call themselves!
Attachments:

Compensation payments 28 Apr 2015 13:52 #49

• admin
  • Thank you received: 153
In 2008, a woman who suffered peritonitis after a botched hysterectomy was awarded £160,000 in compensation, yet, "Mrs Ronayne went on to make a good recovery."

In 2013 Mr Ronayne was awarded £9,000 for the shock of seeing his wife's (temporary) altered appearance.

Shockingly, the amount of compensation generally paid to people whose eyes are irreparably damaged by refractive eye surgery is considerably less.

And their families don't get a penny for their distress :kiss:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3052588...st-NHS-millions.html

Help with where to start suing Optical Express 22 Feb 2015 23:52 #50

• Donna
Last February (2014) I went to see if I was able to have eye surgery the reason was that since my little boy broke my nose when he was toddler (accident) glasses have hurt my nose and i've struggled. i've been wearing glasses since around 2001.

I was told that yes I was suitable and practically talked into going ahead then and there, signing the agreement, offered discount etc etc...I was told how great my vision would be and watched a video.

2 weeks later I had my surgery and the following day everything was clear! 12 months later my sight is back to how it was before and i'm still using the stronger eye drops for very dry sore eyes daily.

The optician I see on my check ups actually told me that had he done the consultation he would have told me not to go ahead with the surgery as my prescription had been so small anyway. He was actually shocked that I even considered it. I told him that it was my nose and that I felt I had been talked into it. All he did was make a note and told me that I should keep coming for check ups and said that if i have surgery again it would probably make my sight worse, not better. He said that maybe in 5-10 years I could consider surgery again.

I'm still paying off the surgery. For what :(