Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Deposit Refunds 15 Jun 2020 15:50 #21

• Sean
I had an appointment on the 5th June at Harley Street (still in lockdown!) and after only 30 minutes was given the go ahead for Lasik Surgery.

I was originally elated, then taken into an office to talk about pricing plans for the surgery appointment on the 9th - only four days later. I was told I need to pay £400 deposit to reserve the appointment.

The next day I was told I had failed the credit check and asked to pay in full. Alarm bells began to ring, because my Experian Credit Score is 999/999 given the number of financial commitments and a perfect financial record for the last 10 years.

How many people may have been told they failed the credit check and pushed to pay in full?

I then immediately asked for a refund of my £400 deposit on Monday when the offices reopened, and was told I would get a full refund and a confirmation email.

Two phone calls, many emails, and a week later, I received an email saying their 'intention' was to start processing refunds from the 1st of July, but not that they will.

Perhaps my story is not as serious as some but it could have been if I fell for the traps.

Regardless, it's clear something suspicious is going on.

I have spoken with Sasha and because I paid by credit card she advised me to contect them.

I called American Express, and they said it's a 6-8 week process where they'll contact OE to give my money back, and if they need supporting documents they'll liaise with me. I will let you know the outcome.

OE do not refund deposit since 20th March! 12 Jun 2020 12:15 #22

• lera669
  • Thank you received: 0
I hope this is going to help others not to get into similar situations. I have been trying to get my deposit back from Optical express since March and still did not get it...I paid £500 deposit paid to Optical Express on the 24th February 2020 and had the initial consultation with the surgeon on the 20th of March. I decided that it was too risky for my particular case to go ahead with the surgery and cancelled the surgery on the 20th of March. BUT I have got no reply form the OE regarding my refund...

However, on the 24th March, I received an email from the customer service telling me that my surgery had been postponed. I informed them that I had cancelled the surgery, but I have received no further emails regarding my cancellation, or when my £500 deposit will be refunded. I spoke with customer care department on 8th April and they could offer no further assistance in this. On the 27th April I spoke with customer care department again and was told that the government Coronavirus restrictions affect the work of OE and, therefore, the deposit cannot be refunded in the near future. The possible refund timescale was not explained to me either, which I found very frustrating. I asked the OE worker to leave a note on my account that I would like to get my deposit back as soon as possible. They said the note is added. I emailed the CEO of OE twice and no response....I drafted a very nice emails but it does not help....

BUT recently at the end of May I received a call form the optometrist asking when I would like to have my surgery.......I explained the situarion and asked her to leave a note ob my OE account that I need my deposit asap and i am very annoyed with their Customer service. BUT again on the 3rd of June call from OE asking when I I would like to have my surgery... That was a very big surprise...I explained the situation and asked to leave a note again.. well.. it has been frustrating indeed. I hope this is going to be useful for anybody who deals with them.a

Update - Refusing to refund my autistic son's deposit 11 Jun 2020 13:43 #23

• Andy
UPDATE

FINALLY after over 3 months of battling OE our sons deposit has been refunded.

We need to say a huge heart felt thank you to Sasha Rodoy who has supported and guided us all the way, we could not have done it without her.

PLEASE to anyone out there considering Eye Surgery remember this is not a regulated industry (This fact was brought to our attention through Sasha). Its beyond belief this is the case so please Sasha keep up the crusade to get this changed

Update - Refusing to refund my autistic son's deposit 26 May 2020 18:24 #24

• Andy
We received this today so fingers crossed! Will update on future developments

With regard to your son’s deposit refund, I can confirm that in-line with our cancellation policy as outlined in the Terms and Conditions document which was provided to your son at his consultation, we would ordinarily retain £150, owing to the cancellation having been made more than three (3) days after booking the surgery, but up to seven (7) days before the pre-surgery discussion. Our terms and conditions are also clearly displayed on our website.

I can see from your son’s records that you were incorrectly informed by a member of Optical Express staff that he would receive a full refund of the £500 deposit which was paid.* We will honour this, and thereafter investigate and address the issue with the member of staff in question.

Almost all members of our finance department, including all of our refunds team, are currently on furlough. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic and the ongoing lockdown situation in Scotland where our Headquarters and Finance team are located, the refund will be processed no later than 12th June 2020.

Thank you again for contacting us.

admin: Signed by Colin Berry, following an email sent to David Moulsdale on Friday, advising that an MCOL would be issued if confirmation of their son's refund was not received by today. However, there is no reason why they have to wait until 12 June - or had to wait at all!

* OE are not entitled to retain £150, no matter when the surgery was cancelled - their T&Cs are not legal :kiss:

No excuse to refuse refund! 21 May 2020 15:50 #25

• admin
  • Thank you received: 153
No excuse for Optical Express to refuse to refund people's deposits immediately :kiss:

www.opticalexpress.co.uk/magazine/article/covid-19-update

And if you have previously asked OE for your refund but not received it, I advise that you make your complaint here asap:
www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-t...ellation-and-refunds

* Don't do it - your eyes are precious and irreplaceable!
Attachments:

Deposit Refunds 16 May 2020 16:34 #26

• admin
For the record people, there is NO 'government directive’ OR ‘Coronavirus restrictions’ to prevent OE processing refunds as Allan McEwan, Stephen Hannan et al claim - to the contrary :kiss:

And to repeat what I posted on 23 April, I strongly advise anyone who has made an advance payment to Optical Express not to ignore this warning - be it a deposit or full cost of 'postponed' surgery, ask for your money to be refunded as a matter of urgency!*

www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-t...ellation-and-refunds

'Use this service to report a business you believe is behaving unfairly during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.’
www.coronavirus-business-complaint.service.gov.uk/

*David Moulsdale was a director of Bridgewater Hospital (Manchester) Limited which went into administration in 2015, leaving thousands of patients without legal recourse or medical aftercare, and unsecured creditors owed £3,403,065.99.
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC312752/filing-history

Under a legal scam, Bridgewater Hospital reopened as Bridgewater Wellness Clinic, listed with Companies House as Bridgewater Clinic Limited.
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC506037/filing-history
Attachments:

Optical Express owe me £7490! 13 May 2020 19:13 #27

• Eric
I am awaiting a refund from Optical Express for £7490 which is a lot of money. This refund is what I paid for Lens exchange surgery that was scheduled for 11th March 2020 which they cancelled on the day of the of the scheduled surgery as I have health issues that they knew about when they took my money!
I was already at Optical Express Bridgewater Wellness Clinic in Manchester when they cancelled this surgery. I did not even see the surgeon on the day of the expected surgery, who was Dr Pedro Muel-Gonzalez.
I was told that I had to pay a deposit which was for £500 which I paid on 31st January. I was also told I had to pay for the surgery in full before the scheduled date and I paid £6.990 on 28th February.
I have repeatedly telephoned and e-mailed Optical Express to no avail requesting a refund. I am aware they have given refunds to other customers but they still refuse to acknowledge when they will give me my refund.
I have advised them I am a vulnerable pensioner and I am experiencing hardship during the present Covid restrictions but they are still declining to pay back the refund due to me.

Attachments:

Refusing to refund my autistic son's deposit 02 May 2020 16:11 #28

• Andy
We canceled my autistic son's surgery by phone the very next day after a consultation at Optical Express in Bristol on 5 March when we were pressured to leave a £500 deposit even before talking to a surgeon. Several days later they phoned back to confirm a follow up appointment with the surgeon (Luca Antico) to which we replied we have cancelled and they then said 'oh yes'!

This is all by the way before any Covid-19 lockdown. Multiple emails have followed requesting the money back but to no avail so far, with them just stating they are closed and cannot refund.

We have noted they are actually refunding some people and have stated in an email to them on 12 April that we see no reason that a bacs transfer cannot be made - or even a cheque as long as it doesn't bounce!

No response since that last email.

Important news 23 Apr 2020 18:21 #29

• admin
IMPORTANT INFO

If you have asked Optical Express for your overdue refund and been told that they can't give it to you because of 'government restrictions' at this time - they are lying!

The company has refunded a number of deposits this month, they are simply using the current situation as an excuse to hold on to people's money longer than they usually do until challenged.

Since early April, I have listened to phone conversations between people wanting their money back and OE employees - some of which were recorded - proving OE to be lying when they claim they can't process payments!

I have one recording of Allan McEwan taking card details from a cancelling customer whose refund was processed back to their account within a few days.

I strongly advise anyone who has made an advance payment to Optical Express - be it a deposit or full cost of 'postponed' surgery - to chase them for your money back as a matter of urgency, because I suspect that the company may go into administration soon, and I will publishing my reasoning for this in due course.

If I'm wrong, no problem, because you can simply reschedule when life has returned to some sort of normalcy - by which time I hope you'll have done more research and given up on the idea :kiss:

But if I'm right - there will be no money refunded to customers, your deposits will have been swept into an offshore account!

They've done it before - www.opticalexpressruinedmylife.co.uk/ind...ress-david-moulsdale
Attachments:

Deposit Refunds 22 Apr 2020 22:42 #30

• CIRTA25
i was checking out about Optical Express reviews and found out I'm not the only victim of their scams.
Same methods - they have been doing it for years i'm shocked how the goverment have done nothing about it ?
My deposit was held up since 06/03/2020. They took £1000 but after I couldn't go through with the operation they said they will keep my deposit for 28 days ???
I found it bizarre and since then with Covid 19 lockdown they send me one email saying they can't get in touch with me within 4 weeks more! This is not right!
Pls advise how I deal with this company Optical Express as really they need to stop doing there scams!

Kind regards
Tarek